Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences “Consult Request Guidelines”
General Information for Referring Providers is available at the UI Hospitals and Clinics web site
Scheduling an Appointment
- Appointment scheduling is arranged by calling our Ophthalmology Scheduling Office (contact information below).
- Upon scheduling an appointment, we request your office to fax medical information to our department prior to the patient’s appointment. Please include recent clinic notes, test results, MRI, or other test results relevant to the requested appointment.
- NOTE: Neuro-ophthalmology requires review of medical information prior to scheduling an appointment. Please fax materials before calling to arrange an appointment.
- Scheduling requests may also be submitted via e-mail: OphthalmologyScheduleRecept@healthcare.uiowa.edu
- Timeframes vary based upon diagnosis, urgency and subspecialty clinic availability. General timeframes are 2-3 weeks (New patients) and 3-4 weeks (Returning patients).
Preparing the Patient to Visit
- Patients are recommended to pre-register for their appointment prior to arriving. This helps expedite patient check-in. Please advise patients to contact our Pre-Access service at 1-888-309-0832.
- Patients should be reminded to notify our Reception Desk staff of who their referring provider is when they check-in so that we may properly communicate results after each appointment.
- Information for patients, including maps, directions, parking recommendations, and accommodations may be found at: www.uihealthcare.org/yourvisit/
Obtaining Visit Results
- Letters explaining visit outcomes and results are sent to referring providers within 48 hours.
- Patient records are accessible to referring providers through UI CareLink, UI Health Care’s secure website.
Clinic Contact Information
Ophthalmology Scheduling: 319-356-2852
Pediatric Ophthalmology Scheduling: 319-356-2859
Scheduling Office hours: M – F 8am – 5pm
General Information: 319-356-2864
Hospital Operator: 319-356-1616
After-hours or weekends, call UI Consult at 800-322-8442
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
200 Hawkins Drive
Pomerantz Family Pavilion, Level 1
Iowa City, Iowa 52242
Coming, Fall 2012:
Iowa River Landing
UI Health Care Consulting Physicians
- For assistance in determining available UI Health Care services, contact UI Health Access: 800-777-8442 or 319-384-8442
Clinical Trial Activity
- Find out more about Clinical Trials offered at the University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics.
Continuing Medical Education
Continuing medical education options are available for ophthalmologists and optometrists.
- Clinical Conferences
- Iowa Eye Association Annual Meeting