Pharmacology

  • Agenda for the Pharmacology Research Retreat

    8:00 - 8:45 am 
    Continental Breakfast and Poster Setup

    8:45 am
    Welcome and Introduction to Program
    Stefan Strack, Ph.D.

    8:50 - 10:20 am  Session 1: Oral presentations - chaired by DP Mohapatra, Ph.D. and Toshi Kitamoto, Ph.D.

    8:50 - 9:05 am
    Adele Stewart, Graduate Student
    Regulation of G Protein Signaling 6 (RGS6) Promotes Anxiety and Depression by Attenuating Serotonin-Mediated Activation of the 5-HT1A Receptor-Adenylyl Cyclase Axis

    9:05 - 9:20 am
    Andrew Shepherd, Ph.D., Postdoctoral Research Scholar
    Distinct Pathways Underlying Pain Hypersensitivity Caused by C-Type Natriuretic Peptide

    9:20 - 9:35 am
    Arianne Lark, Graduate Student
    Regulation of Sleep Under Starvation Stress via a G-Protein Coupled Dual Receptor for Dopamine and Steroids in Drosophila

    9:35 - 9:50 am
    Emily Petruccelli, Graduate Student
    Drosophila Dopamine Ecdysone REceptor (DopEcR) Modulates Ethanol-Induced Sedation and Hyperactivity

    9:50 - 10:20 am
    Yuriy Usachev, Ph.D., Associate Professor
    Distinct Functions of Mitochondrial Ca2+ Uniporters MCU and MCUb in Neurons

    10:20 - 10:50 am
    Break and Poster Viewing

    10:50 - 12:20 pm  Session 2: Oral presentations chaired by Matt Potthoff, Ph.D.

    10:50 - 11:05 am
    Kyle Flippo, Graduate Student
    Inhibition of PP2A/Bb2 and Mitochondrial Fission as a Potential Therapy for Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy

    11:05 - 11:20 am
    Kathleen Markan, Ph.D., Postdoctoral Research Scholar
    Targeting Endogenous FGF21 Activity to Enhance Insulin Sensitivity

    11:20 - 11:35 am
    Jacqueline Reilly, Graduate Student
    Depleting the Isoprenoid Biosynthetic Pathway in a Murine Model of Prostate Cancer Metastasis

    11:35 - 11:50 am
    Amy Guimarães-Young, Graduate Student
    Generation of a Novel Spontaneous Transgenic Mouse Model of Node Positive Metastatic Vulvar Cancer

    11:50 - 12:20 pm
    Kamal Rahmouni, Ph.D., Associate Professor
    Molecular Basis of Neural Control of Blood Pressure

    12:20 - 1:30 pm
    Lunch Break and Poster Viewing

    1:30 - 3:30 pm  Session 3: Oral presentations chaired by Justin Grobe, Ph.D.

    1:30 - 1:45 pm
    Colin Burnett, Graduate Student
    The Fire of Life: Surprisingly, Only 93% Aerobic.  Can We Treat Obesity by Targeting the Other 7%?

    1:45 - 2:00 pm
    Madeliene Stump, Graduate Student
    Targeting Brain PPARg: Generation of Neuron-Specific Transgenic Mice

    2:00 - 2:30 pm
    Anne Kwitek, Ph.D., Associate Professor
    Genetic Regulation of Traits and Transcriptome in a Rat Metabolic Syndrome Model

    2:30 - 3:30 pm
    Yuriy Kirichok, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Department of Pharmacology, University of California, San Francisco
    Mitochondrial Uncoupling and Thermogenesis

    3:30 pm
    Awards and Closing