Skip to Content
The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Eye Institute, was completed in February of 1996. The institute occupies more than 56,000 square feet of space on 2 floors of the Pomerantz Family Pavilion. The building also houses several other ambulatory care clinics including Family Medicine, Women's Health, Otolaryngology, and the Ambulatory Surgery Suite. The Eye Institute replaced the Department of Ophthalmology's ambulatory patient care clinics, diagnostic and treatment units, faculty and staff offices, and conference and teaching facilities, which had been located on the second level of the General Hospital since 1950.
The pavilion, dedicated on April 26, 1996, was named in honor of the Pomerantz Family in recognition of their $3 million contribution toward the cost of constructing the building. Completion of this pavilion represents the final phase of UIHC's capital replacement program, which commenced in the mid-1970's and has been accomplished without any state appropriated capital funds.
Ophthalmology clinic areas are adjacent to the hospital registration facilities on the main floor. The reception, scheduling and waiting areas enjoy the benefit of window walls and skylights. Subspecialty waiting areas are color-coded for ease in locating by patients and staff. Work rooms and check-in stations are also incorporated, affording staff the space and privacy needed for conferences and/or consultations, while providing patients with a readily identifiable source of assistance. More than fifty exam lanes have been designed to be more "user-friendly," and except for those in Pediatric Ophthalmology, are adaptable to the needs of any service, allowing flexibility of usage. Faculty, administrative and most support staff offices are also on the main level adjacent to the clinic area.
The lower level of the Eye Institute features the O'Brien Library and the Braley Auditorium. Also on the lower level are clinical coordinator offices, a residents' room and some work spaces.
The department utilizes several inpatient operating rooms and an ambulatory surgery center, and contains rooms for laser and minor surgery. Areas for clinical research are located within the clinic area, and laboratory facilities are in adjacent buildings.
The Institute for Vision Research is directed by Edwin M. Stone, M.D., Ph.D. The Center is divided into nine functional units, each directed by a faculty member with extensive experience in that area. The Center's laboratory (in the Medical Education and Research Facility), clinic and office space occupy an accumulated 30,000 square foot area and employs over 175 people.
The F.C. Blodi Eye Pathology Laboratory occupies approximately 1350 square feet in the contiguous Medical Research Center. The lab is equipped with up-to-date histology and computer equipment and serves as a national reference center.
The C.S. O'Brien Library and Learning Center houses many ophthalmology textbooks and copies of the major ophthalmology journals. New books, audio-visuals and other resources are constantly being acquired, and journal subscriptions are kept up-to-date. Computer resources and study carrells are available for the use of residents, fellows, faculty and staff of the department.
Copyright © 2015 The University of Iowa. All Rights Reserved.