Skip to Content
This professorship, established through the generosity of Martin and Ruth Carver, is named in honor of Professor Hansjoerg E.J.W. Kolder, beloved teacher, role model, and outstanding clinician and surgeon in the University of Iowa Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences.
Dr. Kolder was born on November 29, 1926 in Vienna, Austria and received a doctorate in medicine and philosophy from the University of Vienna. In February of 1959, Dr. Kolder joined Emory University as a Visiting Assistant Professor in the Department of Physiology. He served as Associate Professor between 1963 and 1968. He was recruited to the University of Iowa by Dr. Frederick C. Blodi in 1968 where he simultaneously held a position as Associate Professor and completed a residency in clinical ophthalmology. In 1973, he was appointed Professor. Dr. Kolder retired from clinical practice in 1995 and was appointed Emeritus Professor.
Although a “generalist” Dr. Kolder excelled in all areas of ophthalmology and was comfortable performing many types of ophthalmic surgery. For more than 20 years, he was responsible for teaching residents the fundamentals of cataract surgery.
In 1998, the electrodiagnostic laboratory at the Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences was named in his honor. He is known for his extensive study of the electro-oculogram (EOG) and other electrodiagnostic phenomena used in evaluating patients with abnormalities of the visual system.
Robert F. Mullins, PhD is the inaugural recipient of this Professorship (April 26, 2010)