Skip to Content
The University of Iowa hired its first dermatologist in 1899. By 1905, it grew to become the Department of Dermatology and Syphiology. The University began training residents following the appointment of Ruben Nomland, MD, as the head of the department in 1936. Currently there are 13 residents working with 9 full-time MD faculty and two full-time PhD faculty. Three of the faculty members are fellowship-trained dermatopathologists, and one faculty member is a fellowship trained Mohs surgeon.
In 2007, the department moved into a new clinical space at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. This space includes over 20 clinic rooms, nine procedure rooms, resident, faculty, and nursing workspace, as well as a phototherapy unity, consisting of narrow band UVB, hand and foot narrow band UVB, and UVA1 booths. The department also owns and frequently utilizes seven lasers.