Chief, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism
Professor of Internal Medicine
- Endocrinology and Metabolism
Web: E. Dale Abel Laboratory
MBBS, University of the West Indies, Kingston, Jamaica
PhD, Physiology, Oxford University, UK
Rhodes Scholar, University of Oxford
Residency, Internal Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago
Fellowship, Endocrinology & Metabolism, Harvard Medical School, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA
Licensure and Certifications
Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism Certification American Board of Internal Medicine
Internal Medicine Certification American Board of Internal Medicine
Education/Training Program Affiliations
Biosciences Graduate Program
Interdisciplinary Graduate Program in Molecular and Cellular Biology
Interdisciplinary Graduate Program in Translational Biomedicine
Medical Scientist Training Program
- Elucidating the molecular mechanisms that are responsible for cardiac failure in diabetes.
- Elucidating the molecular signals that coordinate the mitochondrial and metabolic adaptations to cardiac growth.
- Elucidating the mechanisms by which insulin and growth factor signaling regulate cardiac mitochondrial function and the adaptation of the heart to stress.
- Elucidating the role of mitochondrial dysfunction in the pathogenesis of insulin resistance, diabetes and its complications.
Our recent studies have underscored the importance of mitochondrial oxidative stress as a major mechanism leading to cardiac dysfunction in obesity and diabetes. Recent studies have focused on: (1) The contribution of excessive myocardial insulin signaling in the myocardium in accelerating left ventricular remodeling in the hypertrophied and failing heart. (2) The regulation of myocardial autophagy by insulin signaling. (3) The mechanisms by which myocardial lipid overload alters autophagy in cardiac muscle (4) The role of altered mitochondrial dynamics in the pathophysiology of cardiac dysfunction in obesity and insulin resistant states. (5) Mechanisms for increased thrombosis in obesity and insulin resistant states.
Center, Program and Institute Affiliations
Cardiovascular Research Center
Fraternal Order of Eagles Diabetes Research Center
Date Last Modified: 08/20/2014 -